Join Habitat for Humanity of the Chesapeake in our fight to end poverty housing in Central Maryland! Rise to the challenge and put your time and energy into revitalizing communities, ending the blight of vacancy, and building simple, decent, affordable homes for families in need.
AmeriCorps is a national service program that provides individuals of all ages and backgrounds with educational awards in exchange for a year of service. AmeriCorps members help meet the nation’s critical needs in the areas of public safety, education, human needs, and the environment. You can read more about AmeriCorps here: www.americorps.gov
Habitat for Humanity of the Chesapeake hosts AmeriCorps National Direct and VISTA members. These members help us eliminate substandard housing by engaging communities, increasing volunteer leadership and support, leading volunteers, and building and renovating homes in partnership with low-income families in need of safe, decent, affordable housing.
The Habitat for Humanity AmeriCorps program is open to U.S. citizens, U.S. Nationals, or lawful permanent residents ages 18 and older who have a high school diploma or a Certificate of General Educational Development.
We are currently recruiting to fill 15 AmeriCorps positions for the August/September 2013 start. Available positions include:
• Professional development, trainings and networking opportunities
• AmeriCorps Living Allowance of $12,100 paid bi-weekly over 46-1/2 to 52 weeks
• Basic Medical and Dental Insurance (covers members only, not dependants)
• Childcare assistance for eligible members
• Loan forbearance for qualified student loans including payment of any interest that accrues during term of service.
• Education Award of approximately $5,550 upon successful completion of the service term. This can be applied to either past student loans or future educational expenses.
• Monthly housing stipend of $350 for first year members & $500 for second year members
• One time $100 relocation reimbursement, if applicable.
• Strong desire to serve
• Excitement about Habitat’s mission and participation in the AmeriCorps program
• Willingness to work hard
• Willingness to challenge yourself and ability to work outside your comfort zone
• Leadership experience
• Positive attitude
• An interest in Baltimore and/or the Central Maryland region
• For construction members, experience with hands-on work, physical sports, or outdoors
We are a thriving urban affiliate fulfilling a dual goal: in addition to creating affordable homeownership opportunities for partner families, we revitalize communities in which we work by eliminating blight and bringing in new, committed residents. Our office is located between Baltimore City and Anne Arundel County. There are several neighborhoods nearby with affordable apartments to rent, especially if you’re willing to share with a roommate. Cost of living is moderate, but lower than other cities in the Mid-Atlantic region. Personal vehicles are recommended as our office can be difficult to reach via public transportation.
If you’re interested in applying for an AmeriCorps position for the 2013-2014 service year, you may submit your application materials as early as January 2013. Interviews for these positions will begin in the spring of 2013. To apply, please submit your application as follows:
Subject: (Please include the type of position you’re interested in here.)
• Motivational Statement expressing your interest in participating in the AmeriCorps program. Minimum 250 words. No maximum. **All applications will be evaluated on their motivational statements.
• Resume that includes educational background, work experience, volunteer experience, leadership experience and extracurricular activities or interests.
• Contact information for three (3) references. References should not be relatives, peers or co‐workers. Consider supervisors, teachers, clergy, coaches, counselors or others familiar with your personal background and motivation.