We recently launched our Women Build membership and volunteer drive. Since then, we’ve been getting emails from women across Central Maryland asking if Women Build can work with their busy schedules and hectic lives. To address some of these concerns, we’ve compiled a list of the top ten reasons why Women Build may be right for you!
Women Build is right for you if…
- …you believe in lending a helping hand. Those who join Women Build have a special place in their heart for service. If that sounds like you, you’re in the right place.
- …you are new to the area or looking to make new friends. Getting in on a Women Build project is a great way to meet other females in the area who share interests similar to yours.
- …you love the work that Habitat for Humanity does. Women Build is an extension of Habitat for Humanity of the Chesapeake, and their work is our work.
- …you are willing to learn. Most people who step onto a Women Build site have no idea what building a house entails—and that’s okay! As long as you are open to a new learning experience, we’ll teach you what you need to know.
- …you are passionate about addressing the area housing crisis. The lack of decent, affordable housing is a serious problem that affects many individuals and families in the Baltimore community. You can read more about it here.
- …you want to make a difference in the lives of others. Women Build volunteers are able to positively impact their communities. This year, we are helping Ronnette Owens achieve a dream of homeownership for her family.
- …you don’t want to travel far from home. This year’s Women Build is all about Baltimore-area women serving other Baltimore-area women. This means that if you live in the area, worksites are always right outside your door. (Women Build locations vary from year-to-year.)
- …you have a group of girlfriends that are looking for a service opportunity. Although individuals are always welcome on a Habitat worksite, we invite groups to participate as well.
- …you don’t like the idea of getting dirty on a worksite. That’s okay! You can still get involved by joining one of our three committees, donating a financial gift, or participating in our Women Build communications program.
10. …you want to have fun! Building a house isn’t all work. It can be fun, too!
If one or more of the items on this list describe you, Women Build might be a perfect fit. Find out how to become a member here!